history of Congregation Degel Israel
was founded in the early
1890s. Services were either conducted in private homes or
places of business, without a rabbi. In 1903, the budding
congregation leased rooms in the Doolittle & Hall
Block, now the
Building, Public Square. The congregation was called Standard of Israel.
November 1907, the present Congregation Degel Israel
was incorporated. The old Synagogue, located on Prospect Street, was purchased and dedicated on November 13, 1907. On March 11,
1922, a fire caused extensive damage. The building was repaired
and rededicated on July 3, 1922. This building served the
community until April 1953.
was broken for a new building at 557 Thompson Boulevard
on June 3, 1952, and dedicated on August 31, 1953.
amendment to the Synagogue by-laws in 1984 granted women the
right of full participation in ritual, social, and business
activities of the Synagogue. A year later, the Synagogue changed
its status from Traditional Conservative to Egalitarian.